Monday, February 19, 2007

CCW CLASS AND JERRY'S NEW QUAD

Last Saturday Bob and I attended an all day Arizona state required course for our CCW permits (Concealed Carry Weapons). Arizona is one of 40 states that recognizes the 2nd amendment to the Constitution of the United States as giving citizens the right to bear arms as an individual right, with another 11 states unsure. Only 1 state believes that most amendments to the constitution need to be repealed because they are outdated and need to be changed, is the "Republica' De California"  where I grew up when it was still a state. Anyway now in Arizona as in Virginia I will be able to carry a concealed weapon to protect my life or the life of someone else. Before you think that I have a hero fantasy playing the theme song to Mighty Mouse repeatedly in my head "Here I come to save the day!" Realize that the CCW class was merely a state formality as I was a weapons and law enforcement instructor for 10 of my 30 years in the US Coast Guard, have trained over 500 classes full of students, later Weapons School Chief and Chief of curriculum for 4 years. Classes can only be taken by law abiding citizens so check the requirements for your state before being turn away in class. The class ended with a final exam and some firing range time and ended with getting our certificates and time to clean our guns.
   The following day Jerry wanted to take his new quad out for a ride so we took a short trip to another mine that overlooks a small valley. It was overcast and cool with the threat of a thunderhead shower ever present which make you weary of a possible flash flood, sticking to high ground wherever possible so as not to encounter a 4 foot wall of water.