Thursday, February 1, 2007

Bill's Boat

Bill my neighbor and friend across the street had bought and brought a used boat back with him from his 1st home in Michigan. The boat was a bit used and tattered but ran and functioned well and had been purchased for a good price, which I think is a good character trait. Anyway last weekend Bill took the boat out for a test drive on Lake Mohave where it ran well for about an hour before stripping a coupler shaft and losing power. Bill could have easily paid to have the work done which was not that expensive or sold the boat for salvage, throw in the towel and bought a new boat. Like me Bill knows that repairing your own stuff is not just about the importance of saving money and exercising social independence, but also about the experience of accomplishing something new yourself and adding confidence to your character. I helped bill by having him come up with the idea of using a ladder to lift the small engine instead of renting a hoist and helped him maneuver the engine in preparation for replacement parts which would not arrive for another week. As usual Bill offered something for my help and as usual I turned him down as his friendship was enough reward for me.
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.   John 15:13-16